Thursday 18 April 2013

Test Kitchen Thursday - Jool's Favourite Beef Stew

Given that I have currently more time on my hands - i've decided to undertake a new project - Test Kitchen Thursday. The plan is to test out a recipe every Thursday. 

M thinks this is grand - he gets to eat! and I get to cook - something i enjoy doing.

So to kick off, I tried out this recipe  Jool's Favorite Beef Stew by Jamie Oliver I had to make some slight changes as i didn't have all the ingredients.

Little Man was happy to polish this off for dinner. M was happy too! It was very tasty. Big Tick for me!

Have you ever tried this recipe - a hit or a miss for you?
If you have a great recipe you think I should try - let me know. I'm happy to give it a go! Just leave me the link in the comments!





Ingredients
olive oil
1 onion chopped
800g Gravy beef
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
flour, to dust
a handful of sage leaves
4 carrots, cut into 3 or 4 large pieces
500g small potatoes, halved
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/3 bottle red wine
250ml beef stock
zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
a handful of rosemary leaves, chopped
1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped

Note:  Jamie's recipe had 1/2 a butternut squash, turnips and jerusalem artichokes, all which i didn't have so i omitted them.

Preheat oven to 160ÂșC.

Heat oil in a casserole dish. Add onion and sage leaves and fry on the stove top until softened.

Toss the meat in a little flour and add to brown in the casserole dish.

Add to the pan with all the vegetables, tomato paste, wine and stock, and gently stir together. Season to taste.

Bring to the boil, place lid and transfer to cook in the oven until the meat is tender. It took me about 1hr 20 using a French oven.

Mix the lemon zest, chopped rosemary and garlic together, sprinkle prior to serving.

I served this with polenta.


3 comments:

  1. Yum! I love casserole type dishes with polenta. YUMBO! Unfortunately, I'm allergic to onions and garlic but I think it would be still delicious with that further omission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! I actually tried to make a similar dish last night, but I was distracted by never ending phone calls and was late putting it in the oven so I had to improvise with something else, tonight though we will feast on slow cooked beef, I might add some lemon zest - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yum! I'm lucky that Mr Banya does all the dinner cooking here. He's working on mastering ribs at the moment....

    ReplyDelete